I recently had a friend and fellow wedding vendor come to me with the question of what would happen if either of us became sick or unavailable last minute for a booked wedding. I've heard nightmare stories previously from brides over businesses they've hired cancelling last minute or double booking weddings, and have always feared the day I might have to cancel on a bride. As my friend had a bride cancel her service, due to finding out the that her due date was 3 weeks after the wedding date. We talked over how she had a replacement organised if she were to go into labor early and that would take over her booking if she was unable to complete it due to the baby. Inspired by this I decided to write this blog specifically to cover the issue.
I've tried to be as proactive as possible and over my time as a makeup artist have had several other makeup artists contact me asking if they can put me on their in case of emergency list and vise versa. Having a list of businesses I've researched and trust means that if for any reason I was not able to complete a brides wedding, I have some stellar fellow makeup artists I can refer my brides to or book on their behalf. Hopefully meaning it's one less thing to stress about on your big day. These artists have a similar style and price margin, but are located separately ( Sydney, Central Coast, North Coast, ect) meaning for smaller bookings that are not financially viable for the clients can be referred on to another business.
Recently I've also taken on a junior artist meaning for larger bookings I can offer to my clients the option of hiring a second makeup artist for the day at an additional cost. This gives brides the option of having their parties completed faster meaning less early mornings or lengthy preparation times. I'm constantly trying to think of ways I can further my services and better accommodate my brides and I think the two measures I've mentioned today are definitely a step in the right direction.